Importing QIF from Chase

Charles Day cedayiv at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 19:32:09 EST 2009

On Sat, Jan 3, 2009 at 7:17 AM, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:

> HI,
>
> Quoting hermit <hermit at outofoptions.org>:
>
> > Well, it is what Chase is calling QIF, I wouldn't know:
> >
> > [hermit at localbar gnucash]$ head -15 JPMC.QIF
> >

> > C*
> > D12/18/2008
> > NN/A
> > PCHECK 4347
> > T-3000.0
> > ^
> > C*
> > D12/16/2008
> > NN/A
> > PODJFS            OHIO 2
> > T399.0
> > ^
> > C*
> >
> > One strange thing.  There are two blank lines at the head.  If  copy the
> > file to a test file and remove them, the error changes from complaining
> > about line 5 to complaining about line 1.

Blank lines are ignored, so don't worry about them.

> It's complaining becaus there is no !Type line at the top of the file.
> This is credit card?  Then add:  !Type:CCard

Exactly. I don't believe that Quicken itself actually required this line,
and it may be worth seeing whether the QIF importer can be modified to
accept it as is. It might be tough though, so I'm not sure. The problem is
that some lines can be ambiguous without that !Type line at the top.

In the meantime, you'll definitely have to add it manually.

> > Thanks
> > Ken
> >
> > Thanks again...

> -derek
>
> --
>       warlord at MIT.EDU                        PGP key available

-Charles