Managing U.S. Flexible Spending Accounts

mybuyer at roadrunner.com mybuyer at roadrunner.com
Mon Jan 5 21:40:27 EST 2009

I'm about to embark on using a HCSA also. Since I can use the money
right away at the beginning of the year it seems there should be a
loan which adds to an asset account on Jan 1, receives regular
payments from each paycheck, and receives back any balance left in the
asset account at the end of the term. Each year has a pair of loan and
asset accounts. The checking account pays to Expenses:Eligible Health
Care and that value episodically triggers transfers from the asset
account back to the checking account when the reimbursement check
arrives. At the end of the redemption period the asset account is
brought to zero with a transfer to the loan and the excess is lost
money--that excess loan balance can sit there as a reminder of bad
planning or good health fortune. Too bad it can't be a tax-free
donation to your non-profit company.

-Paul