Accounting for an Investment Club

John Gray gray at agora-net.com
Sun Jan 11 13:42:09 EST 2009

Hello,

I've been trying to figure out how to account for money I've been
putting into an investment club.

The way the club works is one owns whatever percentage of the club that
their contribution is of the total contribution.

So, for example, if I have put in a total of $5000 so far, and others
have put in  $15,000, for a total of $20,000.  Then I'd own 25%. And the
club has assets that are tracked, so I know each month what the total
assets of the club are (and for that matter exactly what my take is).

I have an account in gnucash tracking my contributions.  So the real
questions is how to manipulate that to what its currently worth?

Each month (or periodically), asses an unrealized capital gain/loss to
adjust the account to add up to what my share of the club is currently
worth?

Other suggestions?

Thanks,
John