Entering a credit

Cam Ellison cam at ellisonet.ca
Sun Jan 11 19:38:25 EST 2009

Robert G Palmer Jr wrote:
> I think this question may have gotten lost in the middle of the other
> questions I asked.
>
> How do you enter a credit in GnuCash?
>
> If I create an Invoice for a given amount: e.g. $100, and post the
> invoice
> Later, for whatever reason, I decide that the customer only owes $50.
>
> How do I enter a $50 credit in such a way that it appears on their
> Customer Report as a credit?

If you did not actually issue the invoice to the customer, the simplest
thing is to unpost the invoice and correct it.  If the customer has
received the original invoice, you could still do this, and send the
replacement.

If the customer has already paid, that's more complicated.  If this is a
repeat customer, and there is a new invoice, you might unpost the
original invoice as above, and correct it.  There would then be a
credit, which should show up on the Customer Report.  I'm speculating at
this, because I rarely run the Customer Report.  The difference should
show in the total, but only if you unpost and amend the original invoice.

HTH

Cam