Managing U.S. Flexible Spending Accounts

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 11 21:41:49 EST 2009

John--

Thanks for working with me on this. First note: you can change the register labels under Edit->Preferences->Accounts where there is a "Use formal labels" checkbox. When I check this and look at my Equity account, I see that my initial transfer to Liabilities:FSA is entered as a debit in Equity and a credit in Liabilities. So that seems right.

However, the transfer from Income:Wages shows as a Debit in both accounts. It works out in the Income account, but has the reverse effect in the Equity account.

I haven't even gotten to the actual transactions beyond the payroll deductions. I'll troll those depths once I get this part working right.

David