Gnucash dies when opening my data file

Elizabeth Dodd edodd at billiau.net
Mon Jan 12 06:31:56 EST 2009

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009, Jon Loose wrote:
> I've just completed my first year using gnucash for home accounts, and it's
> been excellent on the whole.  System is xubuntu (with gnome in addition to
> xfce), gnucash is 2.2.6 (from ubuntu repos).
>
> It seems that my system didn't go down cleanly last night, as there is a
> lock file remaining.  When opening gnucash today, I'm asked what to do
> about the lock file.  I say 'ignore' and the dialog disappears, but then
> gnucash just dies - so I have no way of getting to my data.
>
> Any thoughts much appreciated.  I hope I haven't just lost a year's
> information.
>
> Jon

1. Try removing the lock file as you know it is not required.
/home/user/gnucash_data/file.LCK
Of course you aren't meant to do this so you will have to change its
permissions first
2. Open the directory /home/user/gnucash_data (whatever you called it) and
copy it to another directory.
open from the terminal
gnucash /home/user/new_directory/file
3. Your backup file??

--
If you don't do the things that are not worth doing, who will?