Entering a credit

Robert G Palmer Jr robertpalmerjr at mac.com
Mon Jan 12 07:57:39 EST 2009

Yes, you could record as a payment, which is my current work around.
I created a "Income:Misc Credits" account and make payments using
that as the Income account.  The problem is that this is NOT correct
double entry book-keeping.  A payment INCREASES the amount in an
INCOME account.  This credit should really DECREASE the amount in the
A/R account.

Since my situation is so simple, a payment is acceptable (i.e., even
if I were audited, the number of transactions and where they go/come
from is small enough that I wouldn't have a problem).  However, the
correct way is a CREDIT which, as I said, DECREASES the amount in the
A/R account.  (I'm a bit of a perfectionist and like to do things the
"right" way) To be able to use this for a business, it seems that
CREDITS are a critical feature (am I wrong?).

Robert