Your help please

Rafferty Uy rafferty.uy at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 05:06:33 EST 2009

Hi Earle,

The help document should suffice for initial set-up. But basically, what you
have to do is to create the following main account "placeholders" (there is
a "placeholder" checkbox when creating new accounts):

1. Assets
2. Income
3. Expenses

Then, feel free to create sub-accounts for each of these categories. For
example, you can do the following:
Assets
- Earl
  -- On hand
  -- Bank of America (or some other bank)
- Earl's Wife
  -- On hand
  -- Wellsfargo (or some other bank)
- Shared Accounts
  -- Standard Chartered (or some other bank)

Income
- Earl
  -- Salary
  -- BOA Interest
  -- Others
- Earl's Wife
  -- Commission
  -- WF Interest
  -- Others
- Shared Income
  -- SC Interest
  -- Others

Expenses
- Car repairs
- Grocery
- Others

After this is done, you can start placing transactions (just read the help
file to know what the concept of transactions are).

Just a word of advice... the initial set-up of GnuCash is time consuming,
especially if you have a lot of breakdown for your assets, income, expenses,
etc. It took me more around 5-6 hours to set up my accounts properly, but it
is well worth it!

I can now say good bye to my old excel spreadsheets where I have been doing
everything manually for the last 4 years. I have assessed a lot of other
software out there and only GnuCash met my requirements.

Have fun managing! :)

Rafferty D. Uy
Software Engineer @ ease solutions Pte. Ltd.
MBA Student @ National University of Singapore

"Being a CEO is like answering a call to bring the organization to a better
place than where you found it."
~ Ed Ludwig (CEO of Becton, Dickinson)