New GnuCash user questions

Scott Seidl smseidl at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 13:02:54 EST 2009

I'm working to use GnuCash instead Excel spreadsheets to track my personal
finances and am running into a couple questions which I'm hoping the GnuCash
community can help me with.

#1 - I'm in need of advise on setting up an Envelope Budget in GnuCash or
advise on switching from Envelope Budgeting to GnuCash Budgeting.  I have
been doing envelope budgeting in Excel for about 2 years and am hoping to
simplify the data entry / maintenance required.  The information I have
found on various websites/wiki has only helped confuse and frustrate me.
#2 -  I wanted to transfer $500 from savings to checking, but have splits to
match my budget amounts to show how I got to $500.  The $500 consisted of:
$250 for Car Payment, $100 for Mortgage, $75 Grocery, $75 for Electricity.
So I created a split transaction in my Savings Account Register where I had
a debit of $500 from Savings, and 4 Deposits into Checking.  When I looked I
my Checking Register I found 4 Transaction lines instead of 1.  Is there an
option to collapse these 4 transactions into 1?

Thanks
Scott