How to write off bad credit

Doug Laidlaw laidlaws at hotkey.net.au
Fri Jan 16 15:41:40 EST 2009

The OP gave his customer money - a payment in advance, if you like.

So the customer became his debtor.  The customer owed money, just as an
invoiced customer owes money.  In the books, he is a debtor: credit bank,
debit the customer.  There should be a debit in the customer's ledger sheet.

So why not write the amount off to bad debts?  Bad debts is an expense
account.  At the end of the fiscal year, it is transferred to Profit and
Loss, which gets it out of the books.

Doug.