data lost between sessions

Lenore Horner LenoreHorner at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 19 10:50:43 EST 2009

Twice in the last two months I have opened Gnucash to find significant
numbers of transactions missing from the registers.  Last month it was
an entire block of time missing.  I was able to go back (very far
back!) to an uncorrupted .xac file and then run all the
subsequent .log files.  This was tedious, but did seem to have
restored all my data.  That was on 2.2.6.  Thinking that perhaps there
was a bug that had been fixed, I upgraded to 2.2.7 (the latest version
in MacPorts in Dec. 2008).  Imagine my disgust when I opened Gnucash
this morning to find that all of the charges in both my credit card
accounts are missing.  My other accounts appear to be ok.  The credit
charges are also missing in the relevant expense accounts.

I have not crashed the computer or shut it down without closing
Gnucash and X11.

I have checked in Gnucash and the Filter is set to show all
transactions.

The only thing that would even have read the file between this morning
when it is corrupted and day before last when I entered a transaction
(which does exist) would be the TimeMachine backing things up to an
external drive.

Here are the last few lines of .xac and .log files.  Note that the
file I saved on the 17th is significantly larger than the file opened
this morning on the 19th.  I have done nothing myself beyond opening
the file, so the deletions are all Gnucash inventions.