aqbanking, OFX, Chase

David Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 20 11:07:37 EST 2009

On Jan 20, 2009, at 10:56 AM, Dennis Muhlestein wrote:

> brad haack wrote:
>> I'm trying to download credit card transactions from my Chase
>> acct.  The "Get Accounts" button didn't give me anything,  except
>> this in the window:
>> Status for signon request: General error (Code 2000, severity
>> "ERROR") Error other than those specified by the remaining error
>> codes. (Note: Servers should provide a more specific error whenever
>> possible. Error code 2000 should be reserved for cases in which a
>> more specific code is not available.)
>> and this in the log file:
>> <
>> OFX
>> >
>> <
>> SIGNONMSGSRSV1
>> ><SONRS><STATUS><CODE>2000<SEVERITY>ERROR<MESSAGE>Unable to
>> communicate with host. </
>> STATUS><DTSERVER>20090119112927<LANGUAGE>ENG<FI><ORG>B1<FID>10898</
>> FI></SONRS></SIGNONMSGSRSV1></OFX>
>>
>> Then, when I manually set up the account, I get a similar message
>> in the log (Unable to communicate with host).
>>
>> Comparing ofx.log from gnucash with the quicken ofx log, I see that
>> in quicken it says CREDIT CARD or CC where is says BANK in the
>> gnucash ofx.log.  I don't see where to specify this except in the
>> configuration/Accounts/'Account Name' where I typed in credit card.
>>
>> I'm using gnucash 2.2.6 on unbuntu 8.10.
>
> I could be wrong but I think the Chase numbers are for customers who
> actually have a bank account or credit card with Chase Bank.  Chase
> has
> a lot of affiliate credit cards that say Chase on them, and you go to
> Chase.com/creditcards/ to manage your card online, but they are not
> the
> same.  I tried to get a couple Chase cards working a while back.  I
> noticed that my Quicken OFX transactions were using Quickens
> proprietary
> "send your stuff to Intuit instead of the real institution" method. I
> don't know if there is an actual OFX server for the Chase cards or not
> but I did try all the ones I found on the various OFX server
> information
> sites.
>
> -Dennis

If you were using the Intuit version, it's possible that you have to
request 'activation' of ofx access from Chase. Somewhere on the Chase
site once you've logged in, there's a link to allow ofx access. They
even specifically mention that 'other personal financial software' is
an acceptable use. For credit cards, there is no fee for ofx access.
For checking accounts, there usually is a fee.

Dave
--
David Reiser
dbreiser at earthlink.net