Predicting future cash flow on bank account

Wouter van Marle wouter at squirrel-systems.com
Tue Jan 20 21:23:27 EST 2009

On Tue, 2009-01-20 at 13:43 -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Hi,
>
> madwoollything <ianbradby at hotmail.co.uk> writes:
>
> > I hope you can help.
> >
> > We are currently using MSMoney98 and are having to maintain a windows PC -
> > which I'd like to ditch!
> > So far I've been unable to find a finance package that will allow a forecast
> > of future account balances using future transactions entered into the system
> > ..... I've looked through the gnucash documentation and its not clear
> > whether this feature is included.
> >
> > Can gnucash predict future balances and display these in a graphical format?
> > This is a really useful feature to help avoid going overdrawn on our bank
> > account.
>
> Currently the reports only deal with "Real" transactions, not
> "Scheduled" transactions.  However you can date your transactions
> in the future.

Scheduled transactions may not be, but transactions entered in the
ledger with a future date do show up: the account tree does give a grand
total for the account (including all transactions entered with a date in
the future, credits and debits, and child accounts if any).

And when opening an account in a tab, it will indicated a projected
minimum for that account's future based on entered transactions. Child
accounts are not taken into account in that case. Each account by itself
will have a status bar listing current, future and projected minimum for
the account.

Wouter.