Need some ideas

Cam Ellison cam at ellisonpsychology.ca
Sat Jan 24 19:57:36 EST 2009

Maf. King wrote:
> On Saturday 24 January 2009 18:34:10 Steve wrote:
>

>> There was no pay off of the original mortgage. The first people abandoned
>> and the second buyer just brought a downpayment. Where would I transfer
>> funds from to close out the 1st mortgage?
>>

> Hi,
>
> The way that I see this: you have an asset - which is either a house, or a
> mortgage loan to others (or possibly a combination!).
>
> The first (defaulted) mortgage would be cleared by reducing that loan asset to
> 0.00, but adding that value back into the assets:property1 account. (you said
> in your 1st post "I got the property back in my name." - gnucash should
> reflect this asset ownership)
>
> If the subsequent purchasers didn't think that the house was worth what you
> thought it was, and so you sold it for less than your "book value", you'll
> need to adjust asset:property1 downwards, before recording the sale (and
> transfer of asset to the new mortgage account)
>
> IANAA, but that is how I'd do it (until told otherwise by the professionals!).

I think it's important to distinguish between the house (and land ->
let's call it the property) as an asset and the value of the mortgage as
an asset.  If you sell the house, it is no longer on your books - or
shouldn't be, because it doesn't belong to you (never mind what we say
about a property "belonging to the bank").  It's replaced by a mortgage
and a down payment, and the value of the mortgage is reduced by the
payments.  I think you should have had an initial asset account for the
house, then created a separate account for the mortgage, and when the
deal closed, you should then have created a transaction that moved part
of the value of the property to the mortgage account, and the rest to
your bank account and expenses for realty and legal fees.  When you took
possession of the house again, you should have done a transfer of the
outstanding value of the mortgage to the property account and also
transferred in an amount that would bring the property to its full
value.  I'm not sure where that amount should come from, but you could
use Equity (possibly Retained Earnings) as the other account.  I really
suggest you talk to an accountant about that part, because there will be
tax implications.  At any rate, once you sold the house the second time,
you'd follow the same procedure, setting up a new mortgage account.  You
can't eliminate the property account, but it must show a zero balance.
At any rate, you should have three relevant asset accounts: one for the
property, and one for each mortgage - and may you not have a third.

HTH

Cam

--
Cam Ellison  Ph.D.  R.Psych. #01417