Need HTML to doc help; Printing; non-profit in kind donations

Michael McKay michael.mckay at sympatico.ca
Tue Jan 27 20:41:02 EST 2009

I agree with considering the food you have in stock as an asset.  The
industrial equivalent would be inventory.  Items in inventory have value and
show up on the balance sheet as a non-current asset.  They get there when
you purchase or receive the goods.  In your case, if you buy the food you
would create a transaction that looks something like this:

	Purchased food			Cash			$1000
(decreases cash)
	Inventory of food			Inventory	$1000
(increases inventory)

When you "sell" the food, you'd do something like this:

	Cash received from food sale	Cash		$1200
(increases cash)
	Income from food sale		Income		$1200	(increases
income)
 	Reduction in inventory		Inventory		$1000
(decreases inventory)
      Cost of sales			COS		$1000
(increases cost of sales)

After these transactions you should be left with $200 in the bank and no
inventory.

If you are making a donation, there may be no cash or income so the donation
may reduce inventory and create a "cost of donation" expense instead.  The
second transaction would look like this:

	Reduction in inventory		Inventory		$1000
(decrease inventory)
      Cost of donation			COD		$1000
(increase cost of donations)

Again,  Cash and Inventory are assets.  Income, COS or COD are income and
expense accounts.

Yours,

Michael McKay
MJM Consulting