Back Up

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Thu Jan 29 16:38:16 EST 2009

At Thu, 29 Jan 2009 15:59:05 -0500 Geoffrey <lists at serioustechnology.com> wrote:

> Robert Heller wrote:

> >> The why is 'customer driven' and therefore using M$ products is not the
> >> best choice of comparison here. :)  Removable media is becoming much
> >> better and easier to use.  How about we call in "quick alternate
> >> store"?  If "save as" stored the last settings life would be easier.
> >> Maybe this is one area where software is not keeping up with the
> >> technology?  Even my phone stores two gig of data now and I always have
> >> that with me.
> >
> > GIMP has an additional 'Save' option on its File menu: 'Save a Copy...'.
>
> I find it rather redundant to 'save as.'  I know there is a difference,

I think GIMP's 'Save a Copy...' does not bind the filename to the image
the way 'Save As...' does.

> but it has little use.  Regardless, I don't see a 'save a copy' as a
> backup solution.

I agree.  I am not sure why GIMP has this feature.  Maybe Photoshop has
it (for some reason).  (I too use a comprensive backup -- I have two
disks in my machine and rsync from one to the other every week.  And I
make CD-R backups from time-to-time as well.)

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933