Back Up

Donald Allen donaldcallen at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 16:49:45 EST 2009

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 4:22 PM, Anthony Messina <amessina at messinet.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 29 January 2009 14:45:05 Geoffrey wrote:
>> I tend to agree with Derek though, how many financial applications
>> actually have such a functionality?  I don't think Quicken or Quickbooks
>> have this functionality, although I can't say for sure.
>
> i also agree that backing up, especially outside of the ms windows world, is
> better managed at the system level rather than the application level.
>
> however, those coming from ms windows will have much more experience with each
> application having it's own way to save the same thing to separate places.
>
> ms money has it, quicken has it (at least they both did before i switched to
> gnucash about 2 years ago).
>
> i think it must give some people a fuzzy feeling to be told they're backing
> something up each and every time as opposed to "the rsync fairy does it at 2am
> while you're sleeping."

Probably true, but doing stuff that feels good, as opposed to really
thinking it through, frequently leads to a bad outcome, e.g., "let's
reduce taxes for the first time ever during a war and turn a surplus
into adding $5e12 to the national debt, let's use lots of leverage,
and above all, let's go SHOPPING!".