importing pdf-invoices from email

marcus.wolschon at googlemail.com marcus.wolschon at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 2 02:43:31 EDT 2009

On Wed, 1 Jul 2009 06:59:20 -0700 (PDT), Phil Longstaff
<plongstaff at rogers.com> wrote:
> I'm somewhat language-ambivalent.  At this point, gnucash is in C, so I'm
> working in C.  I wonder, though, if there isn't some way we can leverage
> the work Marcus is doing.  I haven't looked at your jgnucashlib.  If we
> were to wrap the gnucash engine and qof using jni, could we supply you
with
> the backend and engine objects, and you could write your java stuff on
top
> of that?  We could also use some of the design/architecture you have to
> better improve gnucash.  Your class hierarchy, for example, might help
> shape an equivalent gobject-based class hierarchy in gnucash for some new
> feature. It wouldn't be as much leverage and reuse as it would be if you
> would code directly for gnucash, but it would allow cross-fertilization
of
> ideas.

You are free to implement the GnucashWritableFile -interface using JNI
and the Gnucash libs.
Just make sure to follow the contract of that interface and please
provide your binaries for more then just Linux-i386/x64 and
Windows x86-32/x86-64.

I can write some more unit-tests to validate it if you want.

There is practically no code you can reuse in Gnucash itself
as it all depends on the Plugin-API (requiring things like
introspection), the JavaScriptingFramework (so users can customize
things using Javascript, php  and a few dozen other scripting languages)
and the inidivial plugins are build on things like HBCI4Java, Javamail,
... just what you usually use when writing such a helper-application
in Java. I don't know if there are equivalent libraries for C/C++
at all.

Marcus