Franking Credits

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Wed Jul 8 02:43:31 EDT 2009

On Wednesday 08 July 2009 04:21:40 Graeme Nichols wrote:
> Colin Law wrote:
> > 2009/7/7 Graeme Nichols <gnichols at tpg.com.au>:
> >> Hi,
<SNIP>
> So, this 'Franking Credit' is tax that has been paid to the Australian
> Tax Office on one's behalf by the Company.
>
> This needs to be kept track of because when filling in one's tax return
> dividends have to broken into 'Franked' & 'Unfranked'. The 'Franking
> Credit' has to be entered into the Tax form as well so it will be used
> to offset one's tax liability.
>
> The question is: In double entry accounting there are two accounts
> involved. I can easily set up a 'Franking Credit' asset account but I am
> not sure of how to set up the other, or 'from' account.
>
> I guess I could use Equity - Opening Balances or Equity - Franking
> Credits'.
>
> I was wondering how other GnuCash users handle it.

Hi Graeme,

Ahh, I understand the question now.  The UK handles dividends and tax in a
similar way, but I haven't heard the term Franked credit before.

Over here, dividend payments are made with a 10% "tax credit" which sounds
similar as it can reduce personal tax in some circumstances, but one never
actually holds the cash.  However, the tax return asks for the total dividend
received including the credit, so I agree, that tracking it is a good idea.

I have an account structure like this:
Assets:Chequing
Income:Dividends:nett
Income:Dividends:tax credit
Expenses:Taxes:Dividend Credit

Dividends payments then are a 4 way split transaction in GC - the actual
payment goes between my chequing account and income:Div:nett, and the tax
credit component goes between I:D:tax credit and E:T:Dividend credit
accounts.

Worked for me during for my most recent tax return!

HTH,
Maf.