Store GnuCash XML in Subversion?

Don Quixote de la Mancha quixote at dulcineatech.com
Mon Jul 20 10:00:26 EDT 2009

The GnuCash data file is an XML file, which I understand might also be
gzip compressed.

Would it be sensible, or useful, to store revisions of the file in
Subversion or some other revision control system?

This would allow a rigorous audit trail, for those that cared about
such things.  If my Grand Scheme for my new company were to actually
come to fruition, I'd be one to care.

But what about this...

Would storing the XML in Subversion allow multiple users to quickly
exchange the file?

I'm not asking for multi-user access, rather I'm asking for an easy,
automated way to have a small number of users take turns at editing
the file.

If the file is compressed, there would need to be a script that
decompressed it before checking, in re-compressed it upon checkout.

If there turned out to be conflicting edits, would there be any
rational way for the users to merge their changes?  Or would they just
have to revert them?

Thanks!

Don Quixote
--
Don Quixote de la Mancha
quixote at dulcineatech.com
http://www.dulcineatech.com

   Dulcinea Technologies: Software of Elegance and Beauty.