Integer foreign key types?

Jean-David Beyer jeandavid8 at verizon.net
Tue Jul 21 07:04:20 EDT 2009

Colin Law wrote:
> Hi
>
> I suppose it is much too late to put in a plea for the foreign keys in
> the database to be integer types rather than character guids?  I will
> appologise in advance as no doubt this was discussed ad nauseum long ago.
> I am looking at possibilities for accessing the db via alternative routes
> and some of this would be much easier with integer keys.

I do not understand your question. What stops you from defining a database
that has integer foreign keys?

I have a database with a table like this:

CREATE TABLE company (
          company_id             INTEGER DEFAULT
                                         nextval('company_company_id_seq')
                                         NOT NULL,
          PRIMARY KEY (company_id)
	) WITHOUT OIDS TABLESPACE stockc;

and all the other tables (except one) are like this:

CREATE TABLE co_name (
          FOREIGN KEY (co_name_company_id) REFERENCES company (company_id)
         ) WITHOUT OIDS TABLESPACE stockd;

(boring other fields and stuff omitted) So almost all my foreign keys are
integer and work just fine.

Are you referring to a particular database where there is a concept of a
guid (and not postgreSQL in general)? I do not even remember a datatype of
character guid. I know only character(n) for fixed-length and character
varying for variable-length, and text.

Could you be more clear what you are talking about?

  ^^-^^ 06:30:01 up 5 days, 20:27, 3 users, load average: 4.11, 4.10, 4.07