Newbie starting out - need help in automatically assigning transactions to accounts

Dani Flexer gnucash at daniflexer.com
Mon Jul 27 00:57:05 EDT 2009

Hi

I have just begun using GnuCash. Apologies if my terminology is not up
to scratch.

- I am looking to automate the process of getting a lot of historic
information from my bank and credit card accounts into the system so
that I will be able to do some backward-analysis for planning purposes.

- I would like all of the transactions that I download from my bank (in
OFX or CVS) to be processed semi-automatically and be assigned to the
appropriate credit and debit accounts  based on their comment field.

- About 80% of my transaction are with a set of maybe 20 or suppliers
who can all be pre-assigned to specific expense accounts, based on the
COMMENT field. (E.g., "Joe's Grocery" is always a food expense).

- Have not been able to find a way to do this from within GnuCash, nor,
for that matter, by pre-processing my information.

- I would have thought this is a common requirement, so I suspect I have
not been looking in the right place.

I would appreciate advice on the way to do this.

Thanks
Dani