Asset with rebate

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Fri Jul 31 05:55:20 EDT 2009

>The problem with this (to my mind) is that I'd like to include repairs in the "cost" of the asset, but can't, but it doesn't bother me too much.

If you are doing depreciation of the asset and/or needing to keep track
of the basis of the asset for future "capital gains" accounting when the
asset is disposed of then the costs of certain sorts of repairs that are
considered major/life extending do get added to the basis and may or may
not need to be depreciated separately. It is perhaps an unfortunate
reality but using a tool such as GnuCash to keep our books does not mean
we don't know how to DO accounting. With personal finances accounting
might not matter exactly how we do things but if there are tax
implications then it does matter.

In terms of the original question -- the amount you enter for the value
of the asset (the "book value") isn't the ACTUAL value but what you paid
for it if you keep your books on the cash basis. That difference would
appear later only when you disposed of the asset for more than the book
value as a "capital gain". If keeping the books on an accrual basis you
could book the correction earlier as an "unrealized capital gain".

Here the house was bought for $35,000 split between cash and a loan or
for $40,000 split between cash, a loan, and an unrealized capital gain.

Michael