Pb in installing gnucash

Xavier LAROSE x.larose at mac.com
Tue Jun 2 09:24:02 EDT 2009

Hello,

I have followed the procedure below :
But when I launch gnucash with X11 I have the error contained in the
joined capture and there is no explicit message.

Is there an alternative way to instal gnucash ?
Thank you four your help

Best regards

Xavier LAROSE

What to Do

When first start up fink commander go to preferances. in the fink tab
you will see..
use unstable packages
make sure this is checked, then click apply, then ok by doing this,
you will get a much broader list of apps avalible.

 From the source menu select selfupdate-cvs this action will let fink
commander update the list packages availible for you to download (you
need to be connected to the internet fro this to work). once that's
done select update-all to update parts of the fink installation (the
fink database is updated daily).
Once thats done quit fink commander, and open the application called
terminal found in the ultilites folder. a terminal window will open,
now type in this command
sudo apt-get update
it should ask you for your log in password. if you haven't set one up
hit return. once done type this command...
sudo apt-get upgrade gnucash
now reopen
At first glance, the main window of Fink Commander look's alot like
iTunes. once complete, in the top right hand corner type in gnucash to
get a smaller list of files that relate to gnucash. you will now see
gnucash listed. Highlight gnucash in the window, now go to Binary menu
and select install. you will now be prompted for your user account
password. follow the instructions to install gnucash. From this point
you will be told what it will install onto your system.

"This process does require you to be connected to the internet for a
while, if you have broadband it should take about 30mins. I did it on
a dial up account, spread over 2 days, at my leisure".

Some of these dependencies are small while others are are quite big.
Fortunatley you can resume your gnucash installation at anytime!, if
you still use dial up this is a great feature. if you do have to
terminate the installation to resume later, just highlight gnucash
again and go to the Binary menu to continue. When it get's to the file
that was stopped midway, it will know and then ask you if this is an
incomplete download, just tell fink to resume. it will pick up were it
left off.

This process does require you to be connected to the internet for a
while, if you have broadband it should take about 30mins. I did it on
a dial up account, spread over 2 days, at my leisure. When fink
commander has installed everything it needs, the final thing it will
do is start to compile and build the application. this process does
not require you to be on the internet the compile and build process
will take about and hour and a half.

Time to have some dinner.......

Finally once that is done, start up Apple's X11 application, found in
your main applications folder now you will see a window called xterm
just type in at the prompt:

/sw/bin/gnucash

(this is how you launch x11 app's) That's it!!! you will now be
greeted by a Gnucash window as it start's up, followed by a accounts
register window create a new account and follow gnucash's druid to set
up a typical account. Enjoy!!!! Note: www.gnucash.org has links to
help manuals which will help you get the software set up quickly.

Update: I have written a very cool app to save you having summon
gnucash by typing it's name into the xterm window of X11 download it
out Here!!