splitting account (with child account) balances

chris ruppie30 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 3 22:39:24 EDT 2009

--- On Wed, 6/3/09, Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU> wrote:

> ruppie30 at yahoo.com
> writes:
>
> > hi,
> >
> > i am a long time gnucash user.  i would like to take
> a few specific accounts and split the balance of them
> (simple divide by 2 and round up to the nearest penny).
> then i'd like to add and/or subtract other account balances
> and see the result.  for all of the accounts are parents
> with child accounts, i need to perform the above math on the
> parent + all child accounts.
> >
> > is this best done in a report?  can it be done any
> other way inside gnucash?
>
> Yes, this would best be done in a report.
> There's no other way I can think of to do it inside
> gnucash.
>
> > thanks,
> > chris

> -derek

are there any simple examples of a report that collects account balances?  i have had a quick look at some of the reports included with gnucash but they are rather large and not easy for me to understand.  i would be happy with a report that has hard coded accounts as opposed to allowing a user to select accounts.

any help is greatly appreciated!

thanks,
chris