Custom Reports and Backup

sunfish62 at yahoo.com sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 8 01:15:47 EDT 2009

Colin--

This is an interesting idea, but fundamentally flawed in that while account definition might be abstracted to a certain extent, ultimately, a programmer cannot be certain about ANY specific accounts in a file.

As I consider the problem further, I'll note that custom reports are all saved in one saved-reports file in the profile directory. Would it be possible to change the custom reports to save into a file that is identifiably linked to the data file and stored with the data file. I am imagining here that if I have a data file "Company A Books" that in the same folder I would find "Company A Books-saved-reports" which would contain all that file's custom reports.

How does Gnucash finesse the situation currently? It loads the reports, but running them yields no matching transactions. I'm not sure that this is particularly useful.

David