Compatibility issues with Compiz?

timzak tzakharov at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 13:35:22 EDT 2009

I'm currently trouble-shooting an odd issue.  Recently (after installing
Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit) I noticed that occasionally (about 50% of the time) when
I first launch Gnucash, it will freeze while loading.  Loading never
completes, and must be force quit.  Once this happens, Gnucash will fail to
load every time I attempt to launch it, until I restart X.

Next, I discovered that Gnucash never freezes if it is the first app I
launch after X starts.  However, if I launch some other apps first (usually
Evolution and Firefox), the about 50% of the time Gnucash will freeze when
attempting to start.  Bizarre, I know.

Finally, as a trouble-shooting step, I decided to disable Compiz a few days
ago.  So far, I have not had any issues with Gnucash freezing on start up
since I disabled Compiz.  The jury is still out, but it APPEARS that
disabling Compiz fixed the problem.

Is this a known issue, or is it worth pursuing?

Thanks,
Tim