2.3.1: How to specify a DB on the command line

Phil Longstaff plongstaff at rogers.com
Mon Jun 8 10:05:30 EDT 2009

The general format of the datafile specification is:

type://arguments

similar to an http:// specification for a web URL.

If "type://" is not specified, it defaults to "file://".

Valid types are:
file:// - argument is file name.  Tries to open as sqlite3 (if --enable-dbi included and sqlite3 dbi driver is available), otherwise falls back to current xml format (which may be compressed).
sqlite3:// - argument is file name, type is sqlite3
xml:// - argument is file name, type is current xml format (may be compressed)
qsf:// - argument is file name, type is weird QSF XML format.  I know this exists for exporting (e.g. invoices), but I don't know how good support is for this.
mysql:// - argument is host:dbname:username:password
postgres:// - argument is host:dbname:username:password

Examples:
     my-file - opens my-file in current directory as sqlite3 file.  If it isn't a valid sqlite3 file, opens as current XML file format
     xml://my-file - opens my-file in current directory as current xml file format
     postgres://localhost:gnucash:myacct:mypasswd - opens postgres db on the local host.  Database name is gnucash.  Access account/password
are "myacct" and "mypasswd".

Phil