Confused about importing bank transactions in OFX

Michael Leone turgon at mike-leone.com
Thu Jun 11 14:15:59 EDT 2009

I've just started using GNUCash for personal use, and I am confused about
importing transactions in OFX format from my bank. I have created all my
accounts, and now want to import all the transactions of my checking account
for the last 5 days, rather than enter them by hand. But when I go to import
the OFX file, GNUCash seems to put all the transactions into an account
called "Imbalance".

Let's start from the begining - how can I tell GNUCash that all the
transactions I am importing are for my checking account? The OFX format
lists only 1 side of the transaction (i.e., it will have a description of
"Direct Deposit" and an amount). I can't tell from the window that pops up,
how to make the DR account of that transaction to be the checking account,
and the CR account be the "Salary" account.

Am I just completely missing something obvious? I'm guessing that all the
OFX transactions are going into the "Imbalance" account because it can't
match the OFX transaction to one already entered into the transaction
journal. But I'd rather not enter all the transactions by hand into the
journal, just so the importer can match them to what's in the file.

Is this not what the "Import" feature is for? Or should I be doing something
else to import transactions, rather than enter by hand and match/reconcile.

Thanks

--
Michael J. Leone, <mailto:turgon at mike-leone.com>