Getting online quotes prices to work

Rich Stanton stantonrj at cf.ac.uk
Sat Jun 13 16:06:36 EDT 2009

I'm having some troubles with online quotes for gnucash 2.2.9 under vista.
I've installed active perl, looked up the ISIN code on yahoo Europe & filled
in the ISIN no. (GB0006069255GBP) and selected yahoo Europe as the online
source in 'security information' within the 'edit security' dialog.  When I
go to the price editor & hit get quotes, a cmd box pops up but doesn't
appear to have any text in it, then gnucash says 'unable to retrieve quotes
for fund: GB0006069255GBP'.  If I run:

perl gnc-fq-dump yahoo_europe GB0006069255GBP

I get:
Finance::Quote fields Gnucash uses:
    symbol: GB0006069255GBP      <=== required
      date: 00/00/2000           <=== required
  currency: ** missing **        <=== required
      last: 99.22                <=\
       nav:                      <=== one of these
     price: 99.22                <=/
  timezone:                      <=== optional

** This stock quote cannot be used by gnucash!!

Clearly the info from yahoo uk is missing some info & the date is wrong.  Is
that a failing of mine or of yahoo's?  I tried a bunch of other sources in
gnc-fq-dump but none seemed to even have the security there.

Thanks!