'Loans': Asset or Expense?

Christopher Stamper christopherstamper at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 17:06:02 EDT 2009

Hello all,

Sorry if this is a stupid question - I don't profess to be an accounting
expert. :-)

I often find myself buying things for others, with the expectation that they
will reimburse me. Previously, I had been recording this as a 'gift', and
the reimbursement as 'other income'.

Now, I'm starting to think this is a dumb idea. I want to have a record of
what I am owed, so should I:

-Create an expense account, 'For Others', and post the expense+reimbursment
here

OR

-Create an assets account, and post the expense and re-imbursement?

I have been using method 2 for large loans to single individuals. However,
for this I want to have one catch-all account; anything else would be too
cumbersome.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!
--