'Loans': Asset or Expense?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Jun 16 09:17:28 EDT 2009

"Mike C." <subscribe307 at verizon.net> writes:

> If I was doing this I would post the transactions to Accounts
> Receivable with sub-accounts if that makes it easier to identify the
> person that owes you.  Accounts Receivable is an asset account.
> Mike

When using A/R there's no need to use Sub-Accounts; the business
features keep track of all that for you in MetaData.  Run the
Receivables Aging report and you'll see how much each one owes you.

If you're NOT using the business features then you should NOT use
A/R.  The A/R account is not for manual data entry.