Cash Flow report vs. Income Statement

Ulrike Fischer gnucash at nililand.de
Fri Jun 19 05:01:13 EDT 2009

Am Thu, 18 Jun 2009 21:07:02 -0400 schrieb Ken Heard:

>> And while it is fine if a documentation starts at the "intelligence
>> level of a 12 year old", I prefer them when they don't stop there.

> What I meant that the *language* should be at the level of a 12 year
> old, not that the content should be.  There is a difference.

Hm, I have some doubts that it is really possible to explain
everything in this language level, at least not if you don't want to
drop all the details and finer points,  but if it is possible it
certainly need a lot of skills and a very good understanding of your
stuff. And here too: if an programmer hasn't this skills I prefer
that he/she use a complicated level than to drop the documentation
alltogether. At my opinion this leads at the end to more and better
documentation as there are certainly more people around who can
understand complicated documentations and convert them to simpler
one than people who can look in the code and figure out from there,
what happens in an application and then write a documentation.

>> I would really like some thorough, detailed, complicated
>> descriptions for a grown-up e.g. about the various columns in
>> the account tab,

> Since these are nowhere explained in the documentation I took the
> trouble to figure them out.  I have not however had the time to post the
> results to the list.  I will, in time.

That would be fine.

>> what happens if you close a book, how the business part actually
>> works, or what actually are the effects if you change the type of an
>> account from say expense to income.

> There is as yet no good documentation about end of year closing (closing
> book).  There is a description of the difference between an expense
> account and an income account if you dig deep enough.

Yes but not a complete list. E.g. some sums in the account tab
change if the type of the parent (or child) of an account is
changed. Some headers in the accounts changes. Some account types
(like investmentsfonds) have additional properties.

--
Ulrike Fischer