What tax line item to use for state UC tax?

David Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 19 22:12:43 EDT 2009

On Jun 19, 2009, at 10:00 PM, Christopher Stamper wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 9:37 PM, David Reiser
> <dbreiser at earthlink.net> wrote:
> It doesn't look to me like there is a separate TXF category for that
> tax. It is an income-based tax withheld by the state, so you could
> try assigning the state withholding category to it, and double-check
> any reports/imports to make sure they are summed instead of
> truncated. You might also have to mess with tax software a bit if
> you do try importing the data.
>
> Thanks, Dave!
>
> I went ahead and assigned the state witholding category to it, and
> tried the report. It shows up as two different items (reg
> witholding, and UC), both in the report and in the TXF export.
>
> I find it kind of odd that the TXF export would have *two* identical
> items in it (only difference in the amount), both for state
> witholding; seems like it should sum the values. ATM I don't have
> any tax software, so I can't determine how it will work. But I'm
> kinda expecting some problems...
>

> */So I guess the question now is: what is supposed to happen when
> you assign multiple accounts to one TXF category? *Why* isn't the
> entire category summed?

For reports, I wouldn't think you'd want it summed because you want to
be able to verify where the totals came from. For imports, the gnucash
docs mention that taxcut and turbotax (circa 1999-2000, the last time
much effort was put into txf in gnucash, I guess) do different things
-- sum or use-the-last-occurring-account. ick.

txf looks kind of half-baked to me (on Intuit's part), especially
since there are lots of nuisance taxes. (Can anyone say Occupational
Priviledge Tax? Now it's called something else, but what a bozo local
tax dreamed up by Pennsylvania...) And none of the txf categories seem
to point to the "other taxes paid" catchall line on the 1040. grumble,
grumble.

Dave
--
David Reiser