Dealing with a supplier credit

Des Dougan des at douganconsulting.com
Sat Jun 20 22:27:45 EDT 2009

Cam,

Thank you for your suggestion.

On 25 May 2009, at 21:17, Cam Ellison wrote:

> Des Dougan wrote:
>> A client of mine bought a laptop battery which was subsequently
>> returned. My supplier will not refund me, but has credited my account
>> with them. How should I manage this in GNUCash's business functions?
>
> Enter it as a payment against that Payable account, just as if you
> were
> paying an invoice.  If you don't have an invoice number, and usually
> use
> theirs, you may have to fake one.  It's easiest if you have an unpaid
> invoice - just treat it as a partial payment, using that invoice
> number.
>
> HTH
>
> Cam

I finally got around to dealing with this. I have entered the credit
in the Payables register, with the Expenses:Computer Hardware account
as the transfer account. So far so good; however, if I now go to pay
another invoice from the same supplier, in this case I don't want to
actually transfer funds from my chequing account, as there is enough
in the credit at the vendor to meet the outstanding bill - so how
should I deal with this situation? Should I set up an asset account
for the vendor credit and draw it down? What would happen if some was
coming from there but the remainder from chequing?

Thanks for any ideas!

Regards,

Des
--

Des Dougan
Principal

Office:		604-628-5434
Cell:   	604-866-2848
Email:  	des at DouganConsulting dot com

         www.DouganConsulting.com

Peace of Mind, One Computer at a Time.