amend transactions programmatically

Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz gnucash at numerixtechnology.de
Thu Jun 25 12:24:13 EDT 2009

Hello,
Actually, I started a thread about this problem last year when I was in
the process of doing my tax return. It is time for a tax return
again, which reminds me I still have not sorted this.

I need to produce a report which lists my gross interest payments and
groups them by bank account.

Unfortunetely, this is not possible due to the way I entered my
interest payments. I entered them as a 3-way split:
- net interest against Asset.Bank.XX
- gross interest against Income.Interest.Taxable
- tax deduction against Liabilities.Tax.Deducted

If I had entered the gross interest payment and the tax deduction as
separate transactions against the bank account, I would be able to
produce above report.

Therefore I would like to change all my interest transactions from
split to separate. I have been using Gnucash for 5 years and several
thousand transactions to recreate. I don't fancy doing this manually!

I am currently using v 2.2.6. I was wondering if I moved to 2.3 with
Postgres backend whether I could do the operation in SQL:
- select and export interest transactions
- create a CSV import of new transactions
- delete old transactions
The sticking point is I would need a GUID for the new transactions.

The only other possibility I see is write a C program and do it via the
GnuCash API. Has anyone got a simple Gnucash batch program which I
could use as a base and amend?

--

Best Regards,

Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz