Smart way of using imported data?

timzak tzakharov at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 13:29:54 EDT 2009

Greg Bell-4 wrote:

>  >Sorry--if you're taking the time to manually enter everything, why
> import QIFs?
>  >Just reconcile once a month, the old fashioned way. Or go online every
> week or
>  > so and make sure everything matches up.
>
> That certainly makes sense.  I think I was hoping that I could use
> GnuCash to do a "diff" between my entered data and I import from the
> bank... quicker and more accurate than any old fashioned methods.

I too manually enter my data and do not use the importing at all.  I started
doing this back in my Windows/MS Money days because I found the imported
data description fields were not to my liking (all caps, ambiguous), and
sometimes descriptions would change slightly, thus creating multiple
categories for a single type of transaction.  I'm not sure if this still
holds for how Gnucash imports, but I feel more in touch with my daily
spending by doing it all manually.  Each day I load up my bank website and
clear the transactions as they clear online, then monthly I do a quick
reconcile.

The other motivation was that my bank charged me a small monthly fee for
using MS Money to import and sync my data.