No subject

Wed Jun 3 09:22:02 EDT 2009

ork around each work project.  A project in my frame of reference is a cost=
 center associated with a customer's contract.   It is a place in your syst=
em that collects labor (your employees' piecework charges), material (from =
inventory or purchased specifically for the project reported on), and overh=
ead costs (various: shop supplies, payroll taxes, etc) as the work moves to=
ward completion.  Based on your software's ability and your agreement with =
your customer you either have progress  billings (shown by invoice) at spec=
ified and agreed on intervals during the life of the project, or you have a=
 billing for everything at project end (again shown on your invoice).

With this system the project is the focus and you can say that the invoice =
simply lays out in as much or little detail as you decide to authorize the =
relevant parts of the project that you have to report to the customer.  The=
 invoice is not keeping track of these things, but your project costing sof=
tware is.  In my parlance an invoice is a type of report, though GC does no=
t treat it formally as such, since those mainly reflect financial aspects o=
f the business to the owner(s).

If this is more what you had in mind, then clearly this is a software produ=
ct that ties to a data base.  The GC developers should be the ones to tell =
you to what degree that the data base they are presently adding to GC will =
work for your needs.
I suspect that intensive project costing is outside the scope of GC, but I =
defer to those that are intimate with the details.

Hope these brief comments are helpful.

Tom Bullock