Using Gnucash on two computers

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Mar 5 19:18:53 EST 2009

Hi,

Quoting oldcourt at talktalk.net:

> Dear Sir/Madam
>
> I have set up gnucash 2.27 on my computer at home and modified it to

I think you mean 2.2.7.  2.27 would be the 27th release of version 2,
which at the rate we're going will come out somewhere around 2020.
FYI, 2.2.9 is the current release.

> produce accounts  for the play school I write this email from. I have
> set up the same version of Gnucash on the school's computer but
> cannot input and change data from one to the other. It would help us
> immensely if data could be added to and transferred from both
> computers, but when I try to import .xac or log files I can import
> but they will not save.What am I doing wrong ??
> I would be grateful for any help you can give as a lot of information
> has been added and the program seems just what we need.
> Both computers are using Windows XP with all updates added.

You don't want to import anything.  What you want to do is copy
your data file from one computer the other and then you can use
File -> Open to open the data file.  The data file is the main
file in the directory with all the .xac and .log files, and it will
be named whatever you decided to name it.

I would suggest you store the file on a USB drive in order to move it
easily from computer to computer.