Locking transactions

Birger Baksaas birger at baksaas.no
Tue Mar 10 18:12:51 EDT 2009

Hi again

Every country probably have the same requirement for locking for
business accounting. The point is to have one file only, not a separate
one for each year. If the authorities make a review, they first check
that the business have posted transactions up to current date and then
look for the details they want from previous years in the same system
(file).

It is not easy to make balanced changes to previous transaction details
in such systems without trace as long as previous periods are locked in
the user interface. That is why authorities (in probably all countries)
trust them.

Of course programmers can go into the database (or xml file), but to
make such changes balanced and without affecting current period, would
be quite hard. One could not claim that such changes was unintentional,
either.

The best solution, as I see it now, would be a "Set Read Only" menu item
separate from "Close Book". The input dialog will only ask for a date.
Then the users can turn transactions read only before the given date as
often as they need and want to, every day if they wish. I would do it
once a year after last year's accounts are finalized, have come back
from the auditor, and ready to be sent off to the tax authority. Then I
would set everything before Dec 31 as read only. (In the mean time, I
would have continued with the new year's transactions, in the same
file).

Birger