Online banking support on Debian/Ubuntu (was: Re: ONLINE BANKING ON LINUX)

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 21:50:22 EDT 2009

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 7:17 PM, Sascha Silbe
<sascha-ml-gnucash-user at silbe.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 02:42:19PM -0500, Tommy Trussell wrote:
>
>> to be a LITTLE more complete, Ubuntu doesn't include it because Debian
>> doesn't, and I believe Debian doesn't because of licensing issues
>> and/or other reasons.
>
> Actually Debian does as of lenny (just released), and it works great out of
> the box (I had some issues with the reader, but that's an entirely different
> topic).
> I suppose (but don't know for sure) the next version of Ubuntu (i.e. jaunty)
> will do so as well.
>
> CU Sascha

Thank you for the clarification. Yes, it appears there will be a later
version of GnuCash 2.2.6 in Ubuntu Jaunty, but looking at the
changelog some HBCI items from September should be in Intrepid, too...

http://packages.ubuntu.com/intrepid/gnucash
http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/gnucash

The  Debian package hasn't had any updates in months -- at the moment
it's still the same version in Lenny and Sid

http://packages.debian.org/lenny/gnucash
http://packages.debian.org/sid/gnucash

I've been in the middle of some other things lately but I had intended
to update the wiki with my best understanding of how to get the best
packages for Ubuntu... my most recent discussion (on the gnucash
developers list) left me with the impression that folks wanting online
banking features would do better installing from the Ubuntu Gnucash
Packaging Team PPA

https://launchpad.net/~gnucash/+archive/ppa

Adding this repository is relatively painless, HOWEVER I think most
folks might be disappointed to realize the package here is ALSO a
version of GnuCash 2.2.6, and the 2.2.6 in Jaunty apparently has some
more recent patches.

Can anyone confirm whether the packages in Intrepid or Jaunty have the
HBCI online banking features?

P.S.: Just so it's clear, GnuCash 2.2.9 (released 24 February 2009) is
the latest stable release, but it will NOT be in the next release of
Ubuntu next month because GnuCash is not supported in Ubuntu's main
repository -- it will contain whatever was in Debian Sid when they
froze the code for Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty on 25 December 2008. Debian Sid
still has GnuCash version 2.2.6 (released 31 July 2008).