Comments on budgeting

Ron Brown rl_brown at verizon.net
Wed Mar 11 19:04:54 EDT 2009

I'm a total newbie and my comments may be due to ignorance.

1.  When I created my first budget I didn't see the cells to put in the values.  This turned out to because the account name field was too big.  I finally figured this out and reduced it to the appropriate size.  BTW this seems to work differently if you have the budget options set for 1 period.

2.  I don't see how to select the accounts to budget for.  The accounts that are present are expense accounts and it is logical to assume that expenses are the only thing to budget for, but I budget for savings as well.  Some savings accounts are for expenses that do not occur every month, e.g. Property Taxes.  I accure money monthly to have the money to pay the property taxes yearly.  This is where the Quicken "savings goal" feature is useful. e.g. with Quicken all the money can be put into 1 savings account and different amounts can be earmarked for different purposes like property taxes, vacation, car repair, etc.

Overall I think it is a great program.  I'm beginning to like it better than Quicken.  I had trouble setting up the OFX transfers, so I just go to the bank's website, save the downloaded OFX and then import it.  Works fine for me.

Thanks to the developers for all the time they donate to this.  I really appreciate it.