Sub Categories in real savings accounts

M Prindle mprindle at pobox.com
Sat Mar 14 15:15:56 EDT 2009

Hello everyone,

I wanted to ask to see if I'm organizing one of my accounts correctly.
I have a savings account that I want to split the money in logically.
What I did was add a sub category to provide the split.  When deposits
are made to the savings account part of the money is logically deposited
in to the main account and the remainder is put in the sub account.
 From what I can tell this is working since my total balance for the
savings account matches what my online account shows.  So, is this the
correct way to split the money in an account?  Will there be any issues
when I go to reconcile this account?

One other thing, I did a sub category transfer from the main account to
the sub category.  Will this cause any problems when I go to reconcile?

Thanks for the help.  I'm working on learning the subtle nuances of GNUCash.

Thanks,

Mike