Custom Reports - Repository of User Reports

Pierre Constantineau jpconstantineau at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 23:44:50 EDT 2009

Hi all,

I am wondering whether there is a repository or a site where user
contributed custom reports are posted.  I don't want to re-invent the
wheel and a search through the mail archives didn't offer me much help
- although other have looked for what I am looking for...

In short, I am looking for a canadian version of the advanced
portfolio report.
Something with Adjusted Cost Base and Capital gains calculated along
the lines needed for Canadian Taxes...

Here is the long version of what I am looking for:

I live in Canada and for Canadian Tax purposes, stocks and mutual
funds are not tracked by lots but as their average cost.  When we get
to sell the commodity, we look at the average cost of purchasing the
stock, including any commissions to purchase, and the we calculate the
capital gains by the difference in selling price to the adjusted cost
and then deduct the selling commission.

For mutual funds where there is no commission for the purchase and
sell of units, the average cost seems OK.  However, for brokerage
accounts where commissions need to be taken into account, the
calculations are can be misleading because the report does not take
the commissions into account.

I would think that someone else already went through the exercise of
creating or modifying the custom report that is needed here in Canada.

I first went through the exercise of trying to track it all through
accounts, however, it did get very cumbersome very quickly. I then
looked into reports and my hope is that the solution is already out
there...

I haven't entered yet all my stocks and mutual funds transactions in
there and therefore I am flexible in how I set up the accounts.

Pierre Constantineau