Backup files not being purged

Donald Allen donaldcallen at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 09:16:07 EDT 2009

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 8:51 AM, Mike or Penny Novack <
stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com> wrote:

> >I also see no deletion of backup files (OS X 10.5.6, Gnucash Aqua
> >installed via MacPorts).
> >

> I've noticed the large buildup too. Except hadn't thought about it as I
> don't have a time limit set (entry of transactions sporadic so could
> require a long period between).
>
> However -- I do have a suggestion for making the deletion easier.
>
> You have your books in a directory dedicated to that purpose. The
> backups get placed there too. When you decide too many, just copy the
> books and the last X pairs of backups (whatever you decide enough for
> safety) into another directory, delete the first directory and all it's
> contents, reallocate it, and move what you copied back. It's what I do
> if I have many tens of pairs to delete.

It'll work, but it seems too complicated. I haven't used a Mac in 15 years,
but presumably the Mac has a nice filesystem browser (it's a Mac, after
all). It shouldn't be hard to display the directory holding the Gnucash
files, logs, and backups in descending chronological order. It also
shouldn't be hard to select files from N days ago through the earliest and
delete them and you're done. You can even do this easily with Windows, the
World's Most Annoying Operating System :-)

/Don