Moving stocks from one account to another

Ian Merrithew ian.merrithew at ieee.org
Sat Mar 21 07:44:13 EDT 2009

On Monday 16 March 2009, gnucash-user-request at gnucash.org wrote:
> I tried the transfer featuer to move stocks from stock account to another,
> it does not allow it.  Is there a way of accomplishing this?

I just had to do this with a couple mutual fund accounts using 2.2.4. All I
did was record a sale of funds in one account, and a purchase in the other.
There is a side effect though; when you scrub lots in the account you sold
from, you'll get a capital gain or loss recorded. Since this is something of
a phantom gain/loss, if you need accurate capital gains tracking this
approach isn't going to work for you.

--
Ian Merrithew - ADM Systems Engineering
ian.merrithew at ieee.org