Account Names

Colin Scott gnucash at double-bars.net
Mon Mar 23 14:12:00 EDT 2009

> The / character is a special character in several OS's including
> Windows and Linux.  I would use a dash or underscore in place of
> the slash

As indeed do other characters, but that doesn't prevent their being used
as a normal characters in a text string, as for most characters the
special significance only applies in certain well-defined contexts  (and
where the character *is* problematical it can either be dealt with by
suitable escaping, or by not permitting it to be used in the first
place).

The problem with your solution is that "B/F Bal" is going to be clearly
understood by anyone reading the accounts, whereas "B-F Bal" could mean
pretty much anything.  When programming this sort of stuff, sanity
checking the input is absolutely fundamental, and this includes ensuring
that the input contains only the permitted character set.  If the
character *is* accepted then it should just work, like any other
character.  Either way, the reported behaviour is a bug.

Colin