Importing Client Details

Colin Scott gnucash at double-bars.net
Mon Mar 23 20:55:00 EDT 2009

> look in your gnucash file. create a vendor or client with an easily
> grepped name and the look for the records that correspond. Follow
> the> guid's as well to make sure the data isn't scattered in multiple
> locations. Then cobble up a script that turns your data into the
> same> format (it's all pretty straightforward) and just plop it in the
> file. note that you need to use real guid's or you'll have hash
> collisions and the thing will run *really* slowly.

I tried this, using a set of guids generated on a Linux system, and a
sample set of about 30 customers.  It worked like a charm up to a point:
gnucash in Windows accepts the first 22 customers, but refuses to take
any more - it silently ignored the 23rd and subsequent customers, and
once the accounts were saved the ignored customers were deleted from the
file.  I also noted that although the customers were placed in the file
in ID order, gnucash changed that to something apparently more random.
I tried adding those lost customers again as a second iteration, but they
were again ignored and then deleted.

Note that if I repeated the exercise under Linux, using the same gnucash
accounts file and customer data, the full set of customers was correctly
imported on the first attempt.

Most odd ...

Colin