Bill System Questions

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 23 22:30:42 EDT 2009

I am trying out the Business functions for the first time (using them to track bills I receive and then pay them), and I have run into some things I do not understand. I will focus on Gnucash interface issues here, and will try to grok the accounting side separately. Please keep in mind that IANAA, just a home user of Gnucash.

1) If I accidentally create a bill, how do I delete it?

2) On a related note, once a bill is in the system, where does it go? I have registers for everything else, but not for bills...

3) Is there some way to see a list of all out-standing bills? GC seems to only be able to give me one vendor's bills at a time...

4) Could someone explain why there is no button on the Bill details screen to get the user to indicate that they want to commit a bill? There is no action to "enter the bill." Most other transaction registers have some sort of confirmation action--as when one is asked whether an open transaction should be saved or discarded when a register is closed.

5) For some reason, when I assign a line on a bill to one of my expense accounts, the expense does not turn up in the associated expense account, as I would expect. Is this normal behavior, or is something wrong? [It was this point that led to questions 1 to 4]

6) When processing a payment, I note that the dialog box includes text input boxes that cannot be used directly; you have to use the select button. These controls should not be text input boxes, since they cannot take text input. At the least, they should be grayed out.

7) When searching for a bill to pay from the Process Payment window, the search results window re-uses the general results window. Unfortunately, this window includes a Process Payment button, which leads the unsuspecting stupid user (me) into a foggy haze trying to figure out where they are in the Process Payment process.

Thanks,
David