Bill System Questions

Andrew Sackville-West andrew at swclan.homelinux.org
Fri Mar 27 11:08:12 EDT 2009

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 12:57:03PM -0700, David T. wrote:
[...]
> As I try to convert over to using this module, I would like to ask
> others whether there are any positive or negative reasons for
> engaging this retroactively. I am thinking about applying the
> invoicing retroactively to the beginning of the year (and perhaps
> further), but wonder whether the effort is worth it.

Well, as you've likely already noticed, there is no automated way to
convert preexisting transactions to use the business features. You'll
have to manually enter invoices as if you had done them all along.

> I honestly
> don't know what the pros or cons for this might be.

pros: it will work and the reports will make sense forward from
whatever time you decide to implement this retroactively.

cons: it's potentially a lot of work and may mess with your
reconciliations as well, see below.

> And if I do, is
> there a way for me to link a pre-existing check transaction to a
> newly-created Gnucash bill, or is there some other way to handle
> that scenario?

nope. you'll have to delete checks and re-enter them through the bill
payment interface. While it's a straightforward process, incrementally
replacing existing check entries with new ones, it can be a little
scary. You'll end up having to catch a bunch of previously reconciled
txns in your next reconcile.